KENNEBUNK, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Stephen and Maria Trayes are literally picking up the pieces of their shattered home - the result of a police tactical team storming the residence early Sunday morning.
"I think they went excessive," said Maria standing in front of her home. "I think calling a S.W.A.T. team and driving a truck through my front lawn, through my front door, tear gas into my home, destroying all my windows, I just think it is a little excessive."
Police were called to the Trayes' home late Saturday evening by a young woman who told police she had been assaulted by the Trayes' 21 year old son Jonathan. She told police he had fired a shotgun behind the home after an argument.
Police quickly surrounded the home and a stand-off ensued for the next seven hours. Sometime around four in the morning, police fired tear gas canisters into the home. When that failed to flush him out, they broke down the front door, but failed to find him or the gun.
"From 10 o'clock that night until 6 o'clock in the morning when they left, they entered the home, they never found Jonathan, or any shotgun, because he was never in the house," said Maria Trayes, who was away with her husband and younger son when the situation occured. "We had told them from the beginning, but for some reason they wanted to believe he was in the house."
Jonathan Trayes has had numerous run-ins with the law and is known by Kennebunk Police. Maria Trayes says her son has a history of running from the police and suffers from a bi-polar disorder, but adds his condition is no excuse for his alleged actions.
"Believe it or not, I am a parent that teaches my children to do the right thing," said Trayes. "We can only teach them, what choices they make we cannot help. I am not naive to the fact that they needed to get to my son, whether they thought he had a weapon or not, but I don't think they needed to go to the measures that they went to."
Kennebunk Police Sergeant Andrew Belisle says police were concerned for Jonathan's safety, as well as the public's, when they responded to the situation.
"There was an incident that did occur and the police response was necessary and based upon that information they took whatever action was necessary at that time," stated Sgt. Belisle. "When anybody steps outside the law there is always a concern. With Jonathan himself, at this point in time, I still feel that we have a concern as to any course of action or conduct that he may take."
Police are still actively searching for Jonathan Trayes. He has warrants issued for his arrest charging him with domestic violence assault, reckless conduct and violating conditions of release, with more charges pending.
Maria Trayes says her son is not a threat to anyone, is not armed and will be meeting with a lawyer before he turns himself in.
"This was an argument between him and a young woman and it escalated and you know, it just got out of hand. It just got completely out of hand," said Trayes. "I am just saddened that the whole thing has ended like this, I really am."