Fast moving fire sends man to hospital

5:48 PM, Nov 15, 2011   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
Fire fighters work to put out a fire at RVI in downtown Bath.

BATH, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- A man working on an ATV in the rear of the RVI motorcycle shop suffered 2nd degree burns to his arms, legs and hands when the vehicle burst into flames early Tuesday afternoon.

"When we got here, the man was burnt," explained Bath Fire Chief Steve Hinds.  "He was out here on the corner.  There was fire showing in the rear of the structure, the side of the structure and out through the front windows."

A second alarm was struck to bring in mutual aid and help stop the fire from spreading from the main building to a storage facility connected to it. 

Fire fighters from four towns battled the blaze and were able to keep the fire from spreading throughout the business.  "It's a great stop," said Hinds.  "Guys did a great job."

Investigators are still working to determine exactly what sparked the fire, but they believe it started in the ATV the man was working on and spread rapidly throughout the showroom.

The injured man was taken to the hospital to be treated for burns to his arms, legs and hands.

The fire broke out shortly after noon and forced first responders to close down Leeman Highway, a major thoroughfare into downtown. 

NEWS CENTER

Most Watched Videos