Poisonous plants and flowers pet owners need to avoid

9:35 PM, May 8, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

ORONO, Maine (NEWS CENTER)-- Now that spring is here many people are ready to start seeing fresh plants and flowers. For pet owners it is important to know what types of plants and flowers are in and around the house because if pets eat certain types of plants and flowers, they can get seriously ill.

Director of the U Maine Animal Health Lab Dr. Anne Lichtenwalner DVMPHD said, there are certain plants like azaleas, daffodils and hostas that pet owners need to make sure their pets do not eat. She said if an animal eats these plants and others like it, it can cause vomiting and possibly kidney failure if left untreated.

With Mother's Day coming up there will be lots of fresh cut flowers in a lot of homes. Lichtenwalner said if cats eat lily's they can get very sick.

"Lily's of many varieties are really toxic to cats. And what happens is the cat will chew on the lily, they're very curious and they like plants. They chew on the lily, they throw up a few times, and they may seem fine for a while but they can go into kidney failure," Lichtenwalner said.

Lichtenwalner also said it is important to keep dogs out of compost piles. She said if dogs get into and eat whatever is in a compost pile, that can also cause kidney failure.

Lichtenwalner said the best thing an owner can do if they think their pet ate something poisonous is to call their vet.

You can also call Animal Poison Control at 888-426-4435

For lists of poisonous plants visit: http://www.fletcherallen.org/upload/photos/6609Plant_Pesticide_Brochure.pdf

Or the Animal Poison Control Center website, http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/

NEWS CENTER

Most Watched Videos