Sprinkler douses fire at USM dorm

10:27 AM, Sep 4, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

GORHAM, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- University of Southern Maine Police and the state fire marshal are investigating a fire that was set in a residence hall on the Gorham campus.

The University says it was started in a trash can in Upton-Hastings Hall around 2:30 a.m. on Monday.  Students living in the hall were evacuated to Brooks Student Center.  No one was hurt.

The flaming trash can was located in a recycling closet on the third floor of the building.  A sprinkler head in the closet extinguished the fire.

There was no fire or smoke damage beyond the closet but parts of the building sustained water damage.

The dorm was reopened to students at 5 a.m.

NEWS CENTER

Most Watched Videos