SCARBOROUGH, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- A fire at a restaurant was quickly knocked down thanks to the swift action of some employees.
Firefighters responded early Saturday afternoon to a report of smoke coming from the wall at the Painted Turtle Restaurant. The smoke was coming from a pipe inside the wall that leads to a pellet stove in the dining room of the restaurant.
Firefighters had to remove the wall to make sure the fire had not spread to the upstairs, where there are apartments.
Deputy Fire Chief Wes Merritt says once the employees noticed smoke, they took all the right precautions.
"They immediately shut the wood stove down, evacuated the restaurant and the apartments overhead," Merritt said. "They went outside and fought the fire from the outside of the building with a fire extinguisher and put a lot of it out before we got here."
The fire damaged the building's electrical system, so that will need to be repaired before the restaurant can re-open.