Cigarette to blame for Jay apartment fire

7:14 AM, Mar 18, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

JAY, Maine (AP) - A discarded cigarette was the cause of a fire that destroyed an apartment building in Jay. The fire left nine people without a home.

Firefighters say the back of the building was burning out of control when they were called to the three-story apartment house, shortly after noon on Saturday. Nobody was hurt, but the building is a total loss. The Red Cross is helping the displaced residents.

AP

Most Watched Videos