LIVE VIDEO: WLBZ NEWS CENTER 2 at 11PM    Watch
 

Officials tell families missing victims from train crash presumed dead

11:31 AM, Jul 11, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

LAC-MEGANTIC, Quebec (AP) -- Canadian officials are now telling the families of the 30 people missing in a runaway oil train crash over the weekend that all are presumed dead.

With 20 bodies found, officials fear that the other 30 are presumed dead.

The head of the U.S. railway company whose oil train crashed into the Quebec town has blamed the engineer for failing to set the brakes properly.

Edward Burkhardt made the comments during a visit today to the town that was devastated by the runaway oil train four days ago.

He said, "It was questionable whether hand brakes were put I place at this time." Burkhardt added, "I don't think any employees removed brakes. They failed to set the brakes."

He said a train engineer has been suspended without pay.

Parts of the devastated area had been too hot and dangerous to enter and find bodies even days after the disaster. Some 60 had been presumed missing earlier.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Most Watched Videos