Child killed, family injured after car collision in Port Clyde

6:34 PM, Aug 12, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Video: Child killed, family injured after car collision

A driver lost control of a Nissan Infiniti, killing one person and injuring at least three more. Photo Courtesy: Courier Publications

PORT CLYDE, Maine (NEWS CENTER) - A child is dead and two members of his family had to be taken by helicopter to the hospital after a horrific crash Sunday afternoon in Port Clyde.

As of Tuesday, the youngest victim in the deadly crash in Port Clyde has been released from the hospital. 6-year-old Wyatt Gold, his 9-year-old brother Dylan and his mother Allison were hit by an out-of-control car Sunday afternoon while walking along the wharf to the Monhegan island ferry. Dylan died Sunday. Their mother remains in the hospital in critical condition. The investigation into what caused the crash is ongoing.

Officials say all victims were pedestrians walking towards the Monhegan Ferry on the wharf. 

Their father is Howard Gold, who was uninjured in the accident. The family is from Cohasset, MA. The two injured family members were taken to a hospital in Portland by Life Flight helicopter.

The Knox County Sheriff's Office says that the driver of a Nissan Infinit, 61-year-old Cheryl Torgerson of New York, NY, lost control of her car. The Sheriff's Department says they're not yet sure why she lost control.

Officials say the car accelerated, slamming into the ticket building owned by Monhegan Boat Lines and pinning a pedestrian there.

The Infiniti, which has New York license plates, kept going, traveling down the wharf, hitting 6 cars and a family of four walking along the wharf.

A woman from Port Clyde who helped stabilize the victims says that the mother and another child were helicoptered from the scene.

Knox County Sheriff's Office has also released the name of the pedestrian that was struck near the "Monhegan Boat Landing" building. He is 68-year-old Jonathan Coggeshall of Port Clyde. Officials say he is still at Penobscot Bay Medical Center.

Dan Dunkle, from the NEWS CENTER media partner Courier Publications, says that the woman who was driving the Infiniti was taken to Pen Bay Medical Center in Rockport but says that the Sheriff's Office tells him she was not seriously injured.


Most Watched Videos