BANGOR, Maine (NEWS CENTER)-- Prosecutors describe it as a case of drug use and violence, the stabbing on first street in Bangor that left one dead. Monday the trial began for the man charged with that crime. Jason Trickett faces a manslaughter charge for allegedly stabbing Andrew Smith back in May of last year.
Trickett's attorney, Hunter Tzovarras, says his client came to the defense of two women Smith was allegedly arguing with when Trickett pushed him and accidentally stabbed him with a pocket knife he had in his hand. Defense says the victim was drunk and trying to start fights with others before getting into an altercation with the two women.
Prosecutor Andrew Benson argues Trickett stabbed the victim in the heart with a pocket knife out of anger not self defense.
The defendant spoke with police on several occasions after the incident and leading up to his arrest in June of 2012 each time denying anything to do with the victim's death.
The state plans on calling two witnesses to the stand that will testify Trickett admitted to them that he had stabbed Smith.
Police arrested Trickett in June of 2012 as he was trying to leave Bangor on a bus. The trial is expected to last for three days.