photo: from the twitter account of the girl who was burned
KENNEBUNK, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Friday morning teachers at Kennebunk Middle School reported an emergency situation in one of the 8th grade classrooms. A cell phone in the pocket of one of the students had caught on fire.
PHOTOS: Student suffered minor burns after cell phone caught fire
A 911 call was placed for emergency services, and EMTs and the fire department quickly responded.
The school initiated a hold-in-place while the EMTs cared for the student, and the fire department took the cell phone for evidence and further study.
The student was taken to Southern Maine Medical Center for evaluation and has been released. The student sustained minor burns and is doing fine.
A state fire marshal and emergency responders emphasized that the student's quick response, to "stop, drop, and roll," are actions that resulted in ensuring the student's ultimate safety and well-being.