LIVE VIDEO: WLBZ NEWS CENTER 2 at 6:00    Watch
 

Is Your Christmas Tree Causing That Headache?

11:54 AM, Dec 24, 2007   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

In just the short time we interviewed her at a friend's house, the tree was already making Emma miserable. "If you shake the tree, it sheds and that gets around the house and it gets into your room, then you sleep and your eyes are watering while you're sleeping," Emma exclaimed. Emma has plenty of company. Live Christmas trees can be like a lump of coal for allergy sufferers. Dr. David Khan of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center says the real problem is often misunderstood. "It's really not their fault. It's the things on the Christmas tree that may be responsible for some allergic problems," he said. Live trees obviously grow outside, and they're often sold on open lots. That means they get wet, creating the perfect environment for growing mold. That triggers the typical symptoms for people who suffer from mold allergies. Dr. Khan says the key is to keep taking your allergy medication, even though many people stop in the winter. Of course, there's another solution: An artificial tree.

NBC

Most Watched Videos