AUGUSTA, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Maine leaders have joined Republicans across the country who are condemning Donald Trump's crude comments about women. This comes just a day after a leaked videotape from 2005 caught him joking about groping, kissing and trying to have sex with women in a sexually charged conversation on Friday.
The mogul bragged that "when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything." Trump said, "Grab 'em by the (expletive)."
WARNING: THIS VIDEO CONTAINS GRAPHIC CONTENT - VIA USA TODAY
Donald Trump issued this apology just hours later: Via USA TODAY
Republican Sen. Susan Collins told NEWS CENTER that Donald Trump’s recent lewd remarks reinforce her conviction that Trump is not suitable to become the President of the United States.
“This is just the latest in a series of comments made by Donald Trump that have ranged from inappropriate to reprehensible,” said Senator Collins. "This latest incident that has come out only reinforces my conviction that he is simply not suited to be President of the United States.
At least four Republican senators called for Trump to step down as the Presidential nominee. Collins said she is not sure what the impact of that would be.
“I’m not sure how that would work at this point. There are many states that have already begun early voting and I’m unclear what would happen, so this is a decision that only Donald Trump can make and this is unprecedented and I don’t know what the process would be to replace him,” said Collins.
Collins said she would support Trump’s running mate, Mike Pence, taking over as the Republican candidate.
“I would be comfortable with him leading our ticket even though I don’t agree with him on every single issue, but I think he is a solid candidate who would serve our party and our country well,” said Collins.
Republican Vice Presidential Nominee Mike Pence says he can't defend Trump's comments. "As a husband and father, I was offended by the words and actions described by Donald Trump."
Maine Rep. Bruce Poliquin said Trump's comments were repulsive. "There is no place in Maine or America to demean any person."
N.H. Sen. Kelly Ayotte changed her stance from last week and posted this statement on her Twitter account: "I will not vote for Donald Trump."
Chairman of the Maine Republican Party Richard Bennett said: "Donald Trump's comments are reprehensible, and we condemn them in the strongest possible terms. Our party is full of decent, hard-working people who love our country, respect their neighbors, and want the best for everyone. Sadly, we find ourselves caught in a position where the values of our party, and our people, may be misconstrued by comments made more than a decade ago by one man whose indecent words do not match our values. Hundreds of thousands of Maine Republicans deserve to be known for their own values and beliefs.” Bennett went on to say, “America is a place where redemption is possible, and over the next 30 days Mr. Trump will have to make the case to voters that he is worthy of redemption."
Sen. Angus King (I-Maine) weighed in with this statement in a Twitter post: "These comments are totally indefensible but, unfortunately, are consistent with his long history of demeaning women generally. This incident gives us a startling insight into how he really thinks and talks in private -- and it's not close to the character and attitude required of someone being considered as president."
Businesswoman Carly Fiorina, who lost to Trump in the Republican primaries, said the Republican National Committee should replace Trump with running Mike Pence. "Donald Trump does not represent me or my party," Fiorina said in a Facebook post. "I understand the responsibility of Republicans to support their nominee. Our nominee has weighty responsibilities as well. Donald Trump has manifestly failed in these responsibilities." – USA TODAY
USA Today also shared Republican Sen. Mike Crapo’s remarks: "His pattern of behavior has left me no choice," speaking about Trump. “His repeated actions and comments toward women have been disrespectful, profane, and demeaning.
As the number of people calling for him to step down increases, Trump says he no intention of quitting. He told The Washington Post in a phone call from his home in Trump Tower in New York, "I’d never withdraw. I’ve never withdrawn in my life ... No, I’m not quitting this race. I have tremendous support.”
Trump says he plans to attend Sunday's debate against Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton. “States have already printed ballots with Trump's name on them, and some have begun,” according to USA Today.
Melania Trump says her husband's comments were offensive but hopes people will accept his apology and focus on issues facing our nation.
Copyright 2016 WCSH