UPDATE: Clinton's doctor says she was diagnosed with pneumonia on Friday

NEW YORK (NBC News/Monica Alba, Kristen Welker, Ali Vitali and Hasini Gittens) — Hillary Clinton abruptly left a 9/11 memorial service in New York City after apparently feeling ill Sunday morning — but she was later seen looking OK and saying it was a "beautiful day."

A statement from her campaign about two hours after she left the memorial said: "Secretary Clinton attended the September 11th Commemoration Ceremony for just an hour and thirty minutes this morning to pay her respects and greet some of the families of the fallen. During the ceremony, she felt overheated so departed to go to her daughter's apartment, and is feeling much better."

Much later Sunday afternoon, the campaign put out a statement from Clinton's physician, Dr. Lisa R. Bardack, saying that Clinton had been diagnosed with pneumonia on Friday and had been taking antibiotics.

Clinton was first seen leaving the 9/11 memorial early, around 9:30 a.m. ET and, in the immediate aftermath of the departure, aides didn't answer questions about her whereabouts.

Rival presidential candidate Donald Trump and his surrogates have persistently raised questions about Clinton's health as a potential campaign issue.

A video posted to Twitter showed Clinton getting into a vehicle looking unsteady and requiring support from an aide.

Zdenek Gazda, who took the video, told NBC News that he was a firefighter in the Czech Republic and goes to the memorial to show his respect.

Gazda told Buzzfeed that he moved to the states 24 years ago and is a Clinton supporter.

"I take two pictures before she passed me," he said. "She looked like everything was fine and everything was good. I just saw the secretary waiting for the van and the van came and she can't walk inside and she gets helped."

Congressman Joseph Crowley, D-N.Y., who was was standing next to Clinton during the ceremony, said "It was very hot and stifling, very tight, inches from each other ... like typically would be at a ceremony like this."

Clinton was taken to her daughter Chelsea's apartment on the lower east side, sources confirmed to NBC News.

Clinton emerged from that building about two hours later, walking on her own, and waved at the gathered crowds, saying, "It's a beautiful day in New York."

Asked if she was "feeling better?" Clinton said, "Yes, thank you very much."

She later returned to her home in Chappaqua, N.Y. Bill Clinton was already there, having not attended the ceremony. Running mate Sen. Tim Kaine was at home in Richmond, Virginia, according to the campaign.

The statement from Clinton's doctor said she was examined at her Chappaqua home on Sunday and was "recovering nicely."

"Secretary Clinton has been experiencing a cough related to allergies," said Bardack. "On Friday, during follow up evaluation of her prolonged cough, she was diagnosed with pneumonia. She was put on antibiotics, and advised to rest and modify her schedule. While at this morning's event, she became overheated and dehydrated. I have just examined her and she is now re-hydrated and recovering nicely."

Trump, who was also at the memorial earlier was asked about the incident as he left a fire station in lower Manhattan, simply said "I don't know anything about it."

Read the full story at NBCNews.com.

Copyright 2016 NBC News


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment