LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

AUGUSTA, Maine(NEWS CENTER) -- A funeral home employee on his way to work in Augusta Sunday morning rescued a man from a burning building.

Fire officials said a fire broke out in a first floor apartment on Pleasant Street in Augusta around 9:30 a.m.

A man who lived in the apartment suffered burn injuries in the fire, but was pulled from the burning building by a man on his way to work at a nearby funeral home.

The victim was taken to Maine Medical Center to be treated for his injuries.

Fourteen people were displaced by the fire, and there were no other injuries. The American Red Cross is assisting the displaced residents.

Fire officials said the building sustained extensive damage.

The State Fire Marshal's office is investigating, which is standard procedure when there is an injury as a result of a fire.

Read or Share this story: http://on.wlbz2.com/1gdJcir