MEDWAY, Maine (NEWS CENTER) --- Schools in Medway are now facing a big challenge: how to pay their superintendent and other directors next year with a budget of only one-thousand dollars.
That amount is exactly how much town voters passed at a town meeting on Wednesday night. Medway schools will be going into the fall with a budget of more than $3 million. Officials say most of the expenses got approved but the administrative budget took a huge hit.
School directors asked for roughly $197,000. By a final vote of 21 to 17 from those in attendance, $1,000 dollars was all that was approved. Former town selectman John Farrington suggested the amount. He says the school district could find ways to lower its budget by using funds from last year. Farrington added that he only recommended $1,000 for the line item to prove a point.
"There is a sum of money that could be used to decrease that line," he said, "and I'm not looking for anybody's positions... I don't want anybody eliminated."
"If by July first there's no money there could be a breach of contract I'm not sure," said town administrative assistant Katherine Lee, referring to the contract the school board has with superintendent Quenten Clark, "but we do have a meeting coming up, a selectmen's meeting Monday night and the school board is asked to attend so..to see how we can fix this."